Friday 6 May 2011

Finding Words Through Extreme Grief

I got the dreaded phone call that my sweet godchild had died suddenly. The trauma and the primal wail that came from me in my disbelief was unrecognizable.

For the next eight days I struggled to find words to eulogize her short tumultuous life of only 31 years. Prayer and meditation yielded no comforting words. We drove a thousand miles to attend her funeral and still no words came along the way. I wasn't even sure I'd even be able to speak on that very sad farewell day.

Finally on the day we closed the casket to transport her to the church, her father handed me these words. He said they had come that day in a condolence basket from his work and asked if I would read them during the funeral Requiem Mass. It seemed to be a sign from my sweet Nixie that she wanted me to speak for her and let everyone know she was OK. It was the saddest day of my life and through my tears I managed to read through to the end. Here then are the words my Nixie sent to me:

If tomorrow starts without me,
And I'm not there to see,
If the sun should rise and find your eyes
All filled with tears for me;

I wish so much you wouldn't cry the way you did today,
While thinking of the many things, we didn't get to say,
I know how much you love me,
As much as I love you,
And each time that you think of me,
I know you'll miss me too;

But when tomorrow starts without me,
Please try to understand,
That an angel came and called my name,
And took me by the hand,
And said my place was ready,
In heaven far above,
And that I'd have to leave behind,
All those I dearly love.

But as I turned to walk away,
A tear fell from my eye
For all my life, I'd always thought,
I didn't want to die.

I had so much to live for, so much left yet to do,
It seemed almost impossible,
That I was leaving you.

I thought of all the yesterdays,
The good ones and the bad,
I thought of all the love we shared,
And all the fun we had.

If I could relive yesterday,
Just even for a while,
I'd say good-bye and kiss you
And maybe see you smile.

But then I realized,
That this could never be,
For emptiness and memories,
Would take the place of me.

And when I thought of worldly things,
I might miss come tomorrow,
I thought of you, and when I did,
My heart was filled with sorrow.

But when I walked throught heaven's gates,
I felt so much at home.
When God looked down and smiled at me,
From His great golden throne,
He said, "This is eternity, and all I've promised you".


Today your life on earth is past,
But here life starts anew.
I promise no tomorrow, but today will always last,
And since each day's the same way,
There's no longing for the past.

You have been so faithful, so trusting and so true.
Though there were times you did some things,
You knew you shouldn't do.

But you have been forgiven, and now at last you're free.
So won't you come and take my hand, and share my life with me?

So when tomorrow starts without me,
Don't think we're far apart,
For every time you think of me,
I'm right here in your your heart.

4 comments:

  1. The other night I had a dream that she called me & was crying & begging to come home. I think my subconscious is racked with guilt. So many times Nix would see me & try to rekindle our friendship & I shunned her because it was too hard for me to face the ugliness of what had happened to her. I find myself begin to sob in the middle of a task at work or home. Grief is a strange thing because you don't realize you are stricken by it until it punches you in the stomach.

    Each time I read your words Aunty B I can't help but feel that we are kindred spirits. Thank you for starting this blog & for the beautiful pictures of Nix. It's strange to think that in just one moment so many people's lives would never be the same again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grief hits us too, at the most unexpected times. Just go with it, feel it, don't judge it, I'm sure from where Nix is now, she completely understands your position. I know I do and I feel she wanted us to connect. The Universe is unfolding just as it should.
    Love & Light,
    Aunty B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there my Sister
    I have prayed for you and your family everyday and more so since your extreme loss of your beloved Nixie.

    My sister it never goes away just becomes easier to handle over time. Keep your light shining. Hold on to the great memories, the love you shared, The laughter, the joy of togetherness and all the little memories to help you through this time.

    Your Sister From Heaven
    Love Trudy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you my Sister From Heaven,
    You give me courage and honour as a godmother with your kind words of support. The light keeps shining through the fog of grief and does indeed keep us going. Slowly we are calling up the happy memories drawing comfort one small piece at a time. Love Your Sister From Heaven, Viv

    ReplyDelete